For Elementary, Middle, Junior High, High School
Languages Transform Individuals into Communities
- Each entry must be an original work of a current foreign language student (including students enrolled in an ESL class) whose teacher is currently a MaFLA member.
- No group entries will be accepted. LIMIT: 5 (FIVE) entries per school.
- Teacher must submit the official entry form with their entries
- Teachers are required to put the requested information on the back of the essay.
- All entries become the property of MaFLA.
- Essays must be written in English. Essays must state theme and content must be relevant to the theme
- Teacher must scan and submit a completed copy of the official entry form, including the required item identification information, with each entry.
- Essays must have a title, be typed/word processed (Times New Roman font at 12 points) and double spaced.
- No identifying marks are allowed on the face of the entry.
- If outside sources are used, they must be cited appropriately.
- All entries must be scanned to pdf files and emailed to Stuart Gamble at the address below.
ESSAY LENGTH – By Division:
Grades K-5: Maximum of 150 words.
Grades 6-8: Maximum of 250 words
Grades 9-12: Maximum of 350 words
All essays become the property of MaFLA
- One essay will be selected as Essay of the Year; author will receive a check for $50.00; The winning essay will be featured at the MaFLA Conference.
- There will be only one winner per division. (grades K-4, grades 5-8, and grades 9-12) For the division producing the Essay of the Year no division award will be given).
- Division winners for the essay contest will receive a check for $25.00. These awards may be presented by a MaFLA Board Member at the students school awards ceremony in the spring.
- Several honorable mention essays will be selected and featured at the MaFLA Fall Conference.
- All entrants will receive a certificate of participation. A letter of appreciation will be sent to all MaFLA members whose students participate in the contests. In addition, letters of appreciation will be sent to the principal and superintendent of participating schools.
- Winners will be posted on mafla.org.
- Certificates and acknowledgements will be sent out at a later date.