Category: Full Time;
Position Title: French-English Dual Language Immersion Teacher
Start Date: 09/05/2018
Location: Brockton Public Schools
AMITIE French-English Dual Language Immersion Program
Brockton Public Schools seeks French-speaking teacher for elementary grades who are prepared to teach, committed and passionate about a language approach to language acquisition and transforming and improving education outcomes for students.
The Amitié French dual language immersion program will be located at the M. George Elementary School. The Amitié dual language program is launching this year September 2018 with Kindergarten and will add new grades annually. Teachers are part of a two-person team in a successful 50%-50% model where students spend half of the day with their English-side teacher and part of their day with the French teacher in all content areas (language arts, math, social studies and science) and using all four domains (reading, writing, speaking and listening). Teachers also integrate cultural components to enhance the experience of children in learning about the Francophone traditions, customs, and history in appropriately developmental ways for the grade levels.
We are committed to supporting each team of teachers with the appropriate curriculum, resources and strategy implementation for dual language programming as well as the assistance of a Language Acquisition coach. The Brockton Public Schools and Bilingual Department continue to strive for success for all students and continue the tradition of leadership in bilingual education.
• Teaching in a 50%-50% model program facilitating flexible scheduling to accommodate student daily transitions and continuation of content learning between two languages
• Strong commitment to the philosophy of dual language education
• Participate and collaborate in building-based and department staff meetings
• Work as a vested member of the dual language team on issues specifically related to dual language, philosophy, programs and approaches
• Thoughtfully plan lessons with grade level partner and implement specific strategies to meet the needs of all students while fostering cultural understanding, developing students’ social growth and focus on language acquisition
• Create a positive, language rich, multicultural learning environment
• Administer and analyze student assessment data to inform planning, developing targeted instruction and making instructional decisions as related to dual language instruction
• Interact with parents and staff on a topic related to dual language and student progress
• Duties related to dual language teaching and learning and district goals for growing dual language programming.
Qualifications: • A valid Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education license in early or elementary education
• Assessed academic proficiency and conversational fluency in French and/or French language teaching license.
• SEI Endorsement as approved by Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education(preferred)
• Successful experience teaching young learners
• Relative teaching experience with second language acquisition preferred
• Strong organizational skills, time-management and communication skills
• Demonstrates a high level of cooperation to work with grade level partner and dual language team
• Understanding the philosophy of dual language learning and teaching
• Fulfillment of Brockton Public Schools district requirements
Contact Name: Kellie Jones or Vula Roomis
Contact email for questions: email@example.com
Application Instructions: Interested candidates please contact us for more information on the positions or send resume/cover letter to one of the two contacts: Ms. Kellie Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ms. Vula Roomis at email@example.com.