Position Title: Global Navigator Program Leader
Start Date: 06/09/2019
End Date: 08/03/2019
Location: International Destinations
Are you interested in playing an essential role in shaping the global leaders of tomorrow? Do you believe that studying abroad changes lives for the better and brings people closer together? Do you want to help high school students safely experience the world beyond their homes as their mentor and leader? Do you enjoy facilitating thoughtful discussion and reflection about cultural differences and similarities? If so, we encourage you to apply for this fun seasonal position!
The Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) is looking for experienced and enthusiastic teachers, counselors, and coaches to lead our high school students through their summer study abroad experiences around the world. Global Navigator High School Summer Abroad programs are three to four weeks long and operated by CIEE Study Centers in one of 47 international locations. These programs give curious, motivated high school students the opportunity to immerse themselves in another culture, to learn and practice a world language, to develop self-awareness and leadership skills, and to conduct field research in a subject of interest. This position is a challenging and rewarding opportunity to take part in transformational experiences for youth abroad.
CIEE is proud to offer the Global Navigator Scholarship to students according to their financial need and academic merit. Last summer, CIEE provided scholarships to 80% of our 2,000 students – many of whom received full tuition funding. The Global Navigator Scholarship enables many exceptional students to be the first of their family or peers to study abroad and to bring international experience back to their community. These scholarships not only expand access to study abroad but also diversify and enrich our student cohorts.
Primary Responsibilities of Program Leaders:
• Support our students 24/7 for the duration of the program by counseling them on homesickness and culture shock, facilitating thoughtful discussion and reflection about their experience, sharing your enthusiasm for the local language/culture/program subject, and supervising and participating alongside them them during activities and excursions.
• Be the first point of contact for students
• Manage students’ minor behavioral issues with verbal warnings.
• Report all medical or behavioral incidents to CIEE Site staff with detailed documentation within 24 hours. Immediately report any serious concerns.
• Meet with CIEE Site staff regularly to share information about students’ health, behavior, and needs and to discuss the program curriculum and schedule.
• Assist resident staff with program logistics, group management and other duties as assigned by the Program Coordinator.
• Actively participate in all program activities and excursions.
• Blog about what’s happening on the program three times a week or more for the duration of the program.
• Meet students and parents at gateway airports and chaperone the group flight to and from the program location.
• Complete an online training course (10-15 hours for Service & Leadership and Global Discovery, 15-20 hours for Language and Culture) and a three-day (Friday evening to Sunday afternoon) in-person training session April 26th-28th, 2019.
Qualifications: General Requirements
• Leaders for Language & Culture programs must be full-time high school world language teachers
• Experience working with high school students in a leadership position
• Bachelor’s degree required, Graduate degree is a plus
• Intermediate proficiency or higher in the language of the host country; fluency in language of host country and any applicable regional dialects desired
• Extensive experience in the host country and knowledge of culture, customs, and navigation (please speak to this in your application)
• Excellent interpersonal skills and intercultural communication skills; a strong ability to work across cultures and in a diverse leadership team
• Computer literacy and experience working in online learning and/or blogging platforms
• Experience creating positive and inclusive group dynamics amongst students from diverse backgrounds
• Passport valid through February 2020. CIEE will cover the cost of visas where necessary but cannot reimburse passport fees.
• Ability to embody CIEE’s mission, culture, and values
• Ability to attend 3-day Program Leader Training in April 2019
• Authorization to work lawfully in the United States
• Due to Federal Regulations, a background check will be conducted as a condition of employment.
Language/Languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
Contact Name: Julia Breul
Contact email for questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Instructions: To learn more about the position and apply, visit our webpage: www.ciee.org/programleaders/