Resources > Certification > Initial Certification

Initial Certification

The Different Licensure Levels in Massachusetts

The Preliminary License: For the first level of licensure, you must have a Bachelors degree and have taken and passed the Communications and Literacy portions of the Massachusetts Test for Educator Licensure as well as the content test in the language you are seeking (MTEL Information).The Preliminary license is valid for five years.

The Temporary License: For this license, you must have taught in another state for three years under a valid license.You cannot have failed any part of the MTEL test.
The Initial License:In order to receive the Initial license, you need to follow a program approved by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.The Initial licensure is valid for five years of employment.

You can enroll in a Department of Elementary and Secondary Education teacher preparation program either as part of your Bachelor degree, Masters degree or licensure-only program.The Higher Education institutions that have been approved to offer this programming are listed here: Institutions of Higher Education List

Individuals who hold a temporary license can be employed by a school district for one year. During that year, they must take and pass the necessary teacher tests. Information about the MTEL (Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure)

The Professional License:To move from an Initial to a Professional license you must have completed a one year mentor induction program, have worked under your Initial license for three years and you must have completed a masters degree with at least 12 credits in the content of your license.The Professional license is valid for five years and must be renewed every five years.