Category: Full Time;
Position Title: Spanish or Spanish and French Teacher
Start Date: 04/09/2018
End Date: 06/30/2018
Location: Boston, MA
Meridian Academy is an urban, economically diverse, intentionally small, independent secondary school in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood of Boston, MA.
Meridian’s curriculum is interdisciplinary and project-based. We have a flexible schedule that adjusts to support each course and its activities. Classes use all of Greater Boston as our extended campus. All students study Spanish through at least Intermediate II (third year) Spanish and almost all study world languages through their senior year. Spanish class sizes range from 3 to 15 students. Spanish classes often incorporate a service component that gives the students the opportunity to use their communication skills to help others.
We are seeking to hire a teacher to fulfill one of these positions:
• Teach half-time (two sections of Spanish each day) with the possibility of growth into a full-time position in subsequent years; or
• Teach full-time two sections of Spanish and two sections of French.
Part-time responsibilities/opportunities include:
• Teaching two sections of Spanish with a total student load around 20 students.
• Emphasizing the development of oral communication skills and written proficiency in the target language.
• Creating activities that help students develop academic skills, make connections between ideas, master essential knowledge, and grow in their curiosity and creativity.
• Developing and implementing methods of assessment, including long-term projects, that accurately reflect each student’s progress with skills, content, and habits of mind.
• Communicating regularly with families.
Full-time responsibilities/opportunities include the above plus:
• Two sections of French with a total four-course load of around 30 students.
• A variety of roles supporting student learning and community.
Qualifications: • Two or more years teaching at the secondary level preferred. Candidates with less experience may be considered for a position with extensive, structured professional development support.
• A bachelor’s degree in a related discipline. A master’s degree is preferred.
• Interest in teaching both middle and high school students.
• A flexible and energetic personality that can work productively in a changing and growing school environment.
• Strong interpersonal skills when working with diverse students and families. Ability to participate in shared decision-making that invites everyone to contribute to the improvement of the school.
Language/Languages: Spanish and French
Contact Name: Joshua Abrams
Contact email for questions: email@example.com
Application Instructions: How to Apply
1. Consult our website (http://www.meridianacademy.org) to learn more about the school and to gain a fuller picture of our goals.
2. Send a résumé and cover letter describing your teaching philosophy with a discussion of some of your work with students by email to Joshua Abrams, Head of School, at firstname.lastname@example.org.