Category: Full Time, Part Time, Temporary;
Position Title: Spanish Teacher – Maternity Leave Replacement (PT or FT)
Start Date: 02/01/2018
End Date: 06/20/2018
Location: Jamaica Plain, Boston, MA
Meridian Academy is an urban, economically diverse, intentionally small, independent secondary school in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood of Boston, MA. We are seeking to hire a teacher to teach either two sections or four section of middle and high school Spanish at the Novice, Novice High, and/or Advanced level with an average of 7 student per class. Classes meet for 45 minutes each day.
Meridian’s curriculum is interdisciplinary and project-based. We have a flexible schedule that adjusts to support each course and its activities. Classes use all of Greater Boston as our extended campus. All students study Spanish through at least Intermediate II (third year) Spanish and almost all study world languages through their senior year. Spanish class sizes range from 2 to 12 students. Spanish classes often incorporate a service component that gives the students the opportunity to use their communication skills to help others.
Part-time responsibilities/opportunities include:
• Teaching two or four sections of Spanish.
• Emphasizing the development of oral communication skills and written proficiency in the target language.
• Creating activities that help students develop academic skills, make connections between ideas, master essential knowledge, and grow in their curiosity and creativity.
• Developing and implementing methods of assessment, including long-term projects, that accurately reflect each student’s progress with skills, content, and habits of mind. Teachers are supported with curriculum that has been developed already and regular department meetings with colleagues.
• Communicating regularly with families.
Qualifications: • Two or more years teaching Spanish preferred.
• Secondary school experience preferred.
• A bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline. A master’s degree is preferred.
• Interest in teaching both middle and high school students.
• A flexible and energetic personality that can work productively in a changing and growing school environment.
• Strong interpersonal skills when working with diverse students and families.
• Familiarity with the ACTFL Standards is preferred.
Contact Name: Joshua Abrams
Contact email for questions: email@example.com
Application Instructions: Consult our website (http://www.meridianacademy.org) to learn more about the school and to gain a fuller picture of our goals.
Send a résumé and cover letter describing your teaching philosophy with a discussion of some of your work with students by email to Joshua Abrams, Head of School.