New Teacher Commendation
MaFLA’s mission encompasses the mentoring, support, and professional growth of new teachers in the profession. This
commendation and accompanying award recognize new teachers for demonstrated excellence. MaFLA wishes to welcome new teachers to the state organization and to offer multiple opportunities for professional development, support, networking, and collegiality through membership. Awardees will receive a complimentary three-year membership to the Massachusetts Foreign Language Association (MaFLA) and all accompanying benefits.
CRITERIA FOR RECOMMENDATION/APPLICATION:
New Teacher refers to a person who, at the time of being recommended or of applying for the award is:
1. New to the world language teaching profession within the past 5 years.
2. A full-time world language teacher in Massachusetts.
• Proficiency in the language(s) taught.
• Knowledge and application of current methodologies of world language teaching.
• Knowledge of the diverse learning styles of students.
• Successful communication skills with students and colleagues.
• A class atmosphere conducive to learning.
• Involvement in extra-curricular foreign language activities.
• Involvement in professional activities.
• Enthusiasm in his/her teaching and learning of world languages.
Recommendations/applications for the commendation can be made by a school administrator, a colleague, or the teacher himself/herself/themself.
DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS: April 30
Please contact the Awards/Nominations Chair, Jen Faulkner, f you have any questions.
New Teacher Commendation Application Form
"*" indicates required fields