Category: Full Time;
Position Title: Director of Foreign Languages
Start Date: 02/07/2020
End Date: 02/24/2020
Location: Shrewsbury High School
Employment Opportunity: District Director, Grades 6-12
POSITION: Director of Foreign Language
2020-2021 School Year
Shrewsbury Public Schools is currently accepting applications for a Director of Foreign Language, commencing in the 2020-2021 school year (July 1). This position will be the primary evaluator for teachers of Mandarin Chinese, French, Latin, and Spanish. This position may have responsibility for direct teaching of students, per the Shrewsbury Education Association contract. The Director of Foreign Language reports directly to the Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment and the secondary evaluator will be a School Principal at Shrewsbury High School, Oak Middle School, or Sherwood Middle School, and the position functions in accordance with the provisions of the contract between the Shrewsbury School Committee and the Shrewsbury Education Association. This position is a key leadership position and participates actively as a member of the District Leadership Team.
Educators with international/diverse background or experience are encouraged to apply.
The main purpose of learning a new language is communication. As our world becomes a smaller place, with newer and more far-reaching communications, interaction with other countries and/or with peoples of different cultures here at home becomes more probable and immediate. Foreign language is an essential part of our students’ education and all students should learn at least one language in addition to English to prepare them for life in the 21st century.
The goal of the Foreign Language program at Shrewsbury Public Schools is communicative proficiency for all of our students. Within the last decade, traditional approaches to teaching language have yielded to new, performance-based approaches that have a common focus on the student’s ability to use the language beyond the classroom in real-life situations. Proficient students emerge from foreign language programs, able, to a measurable degree, to communicate in the language as it is written and spoken by native speakers. Students will have a functional ability to understand, read, write, and speak the language. Emphasis is placed on what the student can do with the language, independent of how the language was learned, what methods were involved or what materials were used.
Because language and culture are so inextricably bound together, students who are exposed to foreign languages develop a respect for and a tolerance of cultural differences, and, in doing so, develop a better understanding of their own culture. Everyone can learn a second language, but it is a lifelong process, and, study should begin as early as possible and continue throughout post- secondary education and beyond.
We are looking for a skillful, dynamic instructional leader to oversee Foreign Language Programming across three schools in Grades 6-12 with the goal of helping all students to successfully develop communication skills.
• Participates actively as a member of the District Leadership Team, the Shrewsbury High School Leadership Team, and the middle school leadership teams
• Leads search and recommendation process for superintendent appointment of new teachers to the department
• Responsible for leading teaching and learning, including supervision and evaluation of Foreign Language teachers , including formal observations, coaching, and writing formative and summative evaluations
• Works collaboratively with school principals to build school and district-wide class schedules and to deploy personnel as needed
• Adapts instructional techniques to the age and skill level of students while maintaining a culture of inclusion for all students
• Teaches classes as assigned by the Assistant Superintendent, based on recommendations of the Principals and the Department Director
• Supports and promotes the annual goals of the district
• Maintains connections to professional organizations
• Collaborates with school principals on curriculum integration, supervision and evaluation, and budget management
Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
• A minimum of Professional licensure in Spanish, French, Latin, or Mandarin Chinese
• Licensure as a director/supervisor in Foreign Languages
• Demonstrated knowledge of various areas of foreign language education
• Consistent demonstration of the values of Shrewsbury Public Schools
• A commitment to the education of all students
Language/Languages: Spanish, French, Latin, Mandarin Chinese
Contact Name: Amy Clouter, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
Contact email for questions: email@example.com
Application Instructions: Application Process:
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume, official or unofficial copies of undergraduate/graduate transcripts, license # or unofficial copy of license, and three current professional letters of reference, including one from a direct supervisor or evaluator.
Please apply via www.schoolspring.com (preferred) or via a hard copy packet mailed to the attention of:
Barbara A. Malone
Director of Human Resources
Shrewsbury Public Schools
100 Maple Avenue
Shrewsbury, MA 01545
Application packets may also be dropped off at the school department office at 100 Maple Avenue (Shrewsbury Town Hall) between the hours of 8:00-4:30 Monday-Friday.
Please note that there may be a brief delay in processing hard copy applications.
The Shrewsbury Public Schools is an affirmative action employer, ensuring that its programs and facilities are accessible to the public. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender, religion, disability, gender identity, sex, pregnancy or pregnancy-related medical conditions, national origin, homelessness, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status or class protected by state or federal law.