MaFLA/ACTFL MOPI Training
This two-day workshop is an introduction to the techniques of administering and rating the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) at the Novice and Intermediate levels. Attendees critique and discuss interview elicitation, structure, and rating. All attendees observe and some conduct live practice interviews. Enhance your professional development with the invaluable MOPI training and also become eligible to apply for OPI certification; practicing your interviewing skills with a trainer is a great start towards becoming an ACTFL Certified OPI Tester!
Two strands are available: Spanish and Mixed Languages. The Spanish strand will be conducted in Spanish (powerpoint slides in English) and the interviews will also be in Spanish. The Mixed Language strand will be conducted in English with interviews in English.
Two pricing levels are available: Interviewer and Participant. All attendees will be engaged the entire two-day training including watching and debriefing several interviews. Interviewers will be coached by our presenters through one of eight live Oral Proficiency Exams with a student learning English or Spanish. Participants will not have the opportunity to practice a live interview during the training.
Upon completion of the 2-day MOPI Workshop, participants will be able to:
- Articulate what the OPI is, its purpose, and what it measures
- Describe the characteristics of two major ACTFL proficiency levels and differentiate between proficiency sublevels (low, mid, high) for each relevant major level (Novice, and Intermediate)
- Assess a spoken language sample by comparing its content to the ACTFL proficiency guidelines to determine the speaker’s level of proficiency at the Novice and Intermediate levels
- Apply effective elicitation techniques during a guided OPI, including, role plays, the use appropriate question types and/or level probes for each proficiency level
- Reflect on ways in which the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines apply to classroom foreign language instruction, learning outcomes, and proficiency targets for language learners.
- Submit an application to become a certified OPI tester with limited certification
The MOPI training has a very limited capacity due to the coaching model used. Each strand will be made up of 8 Interview Attendees and 6 Participant Attendees, for a total of 28.
Additionally this year, we have an Advancement Training. This 2-day workshop continues your learning from MOPI (Novice & Mid Proficiency Levels) to a full OPI training (Novice through Superior). Those who seek Full Rater Status must have the full OPI training to qualify. This training is only available to participants who have taken the MOPI training. Our cap for this training is smaller (8 Interviewers) and therefore the price is higher.
ADRIÁN MASSEI is currently Associate Professor of Spanish and Latin American Literature at Furman University, South Carolina. He has been involved in OPI testing for eighteen years. He actively tests in Spanish in both ACTFL and ILR OPI protocols and is a dual trainer in both. An active rater of the Spanish WPT (Writing Proficiency Test), he is a Mentor to newly certified ACTFL OPI testers as well as an ACTFL ILR Tester Support Specialist and an ACTFL OPI Quality Control Specialist.
MaFLA MOPI Agenda
Additional information is available HERE.
REGISTRATION WILL OPEN SATURDAY, MARCH 15.